Zoning Information

After determining that you will apply for a building permit, the appropriate forms must be picked up at the municipal office and filled out with the relevant information.  If you have any questions about the forms, call 724-352-9000 and ask the secretary for help.

Building Information Needed for a Permit

  1. Owner Information
    1. Name
    2. Mailing address
    3. Property address (if different from mailing address)
    4. Phone number
  2. Cost of construction of structure (permit charge is $2 for each $1,000 of construction cost for residential building; .25 per square foot for industrial building)
  3. Mobile home serial number (if applicable)
  4. SEWAGE PERMIT issued by the Sewage Enforcement Officer or notice that tap-in fee has been paid to Saxonburg Area Authority  MUST be shown.
  5. Size of structure (length X width for residential; square footage for industrial/commercial)
  6. Building setback distance from property lines must be listed (Check Zoning Ordinance for all relevant information, or call Zoning Officer.)
  7.  A plot plan (sketch) of the property, location of proposed structure and existing structures and any relevant topographical features to be attached to permit application.
  8. A certificate of Workmans’ Compensation Insurance coverage if project is being done by a contractor.
  9. A road occupancy permit secured from the Township Roadmaster (724-352-9015) if drive is onto a Township Road.

Clinton Township follows Pennsylvania Uniform Construction Code which is at this time the 2006 edition of The International Code Council Family of Codes. You can access this information directly by visiting www.iccsafe.org.

Procedures to Follow to Create a Subdivision

  1. Contact Sewage Enforcement Officer(SEO) to have proposed lots tested. (See Sewage Officer page) *  Secure Sewage Application form from Township Secretary. Cost is an amount determined by the SEO.
  2. Consult Township Zoning Ordinance for necessary information.
  3. Check with Zoning Officer as needed.
  4. Have surveyor survey and draw new lots in accordance with Clinton township ordinances. Please not that the Township MAY request topography lines on plans.
  5. If on a Township road, apply for/receive assurances from Township Roadmaster (724-352-9015) that proposed driveways are acceptable. If a State road, check with the State for a permit, necessary assurances. 724-2894-8800. Receive site address from Township Secretary, if possible. (Must know where the driveway will be located on the new lot(s)).
  6. Plan must be received at the Township Office ten (10) days before Planning Commission meeting day. ACCOMPANYING THE PLAN YOU SHOULD: Pay Subdivision Application Fee to Secretary ($150 + $20 per lot, generally. See Resolution 2009-01. A site Plan fee is $100) Show driveway permits, if issued. have valid sewage sites located on drawing and submit perk test results if available. have the ‘build-able area’ of a lot showing on the plan.
  7. You or a representative must present the plan to the Clinton township Planning Commission for review and approval at a regular meeting (first Monday of the month.)
  8. You or a representative must present the plan to the Board of Supervisors at a regular meeting (second Tuesday of the month) for review and approval.
  9. Once your plan has been signed by the Clinton Township Planning Commission and the Clinton Township Supervisors you or a representative must present the plan to the Butler Planning Commission. They have strict guidelines for submission. 724-284-5300.
  10. Once approved you can have the plan recorded at the Butler Court House.
  11. If still needed, secure driveway permits.
  12.  Secure building permits from Zoning Officer for construction of buildings. You must have a valid sewage PERMIT issued by the Sewage Enforcement Officer in order to secure a residential building permit. Labor and Industry approval must be shown for commercial/industrial construction.

Stormwater Management Ordinance

Stormwater Management Ordinance PDF

Contact The Zoning Officer

Please call the township office at (724) 352-9000 with any zoning questions.